Toolkit

How To Be A Maestro

A Masterclass with Daniele Gatti | Read Blog

Leadership is often said to be a test of authenticity. No doubt this is true, but it is not the whole story. Leaders learn to communicate by example. They must create belief — and, from that, efficiency.

A Masterclass by Daniele Gatti, former chief conductor of the Amsterdam Concertgebouw, described a compelling behavioural model for any complex organisation. Gatti and his band spent three consecutive days with four protégés, all rising stars of classical music: Nuno Coelho, Roderick Cox, Ruth Reinhardt and Tianyi Lu (pictured).

The correlation between Gatti’s insights and the orchestral response was audible and compelling. His mode of instruction is characterised by four principles: Articulation. Coolness. Economy of style and technique. Transparency. 

The complete video of the 2018 Masterclass is available via the following links on the Concertgebouw website: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3.

 


Speech to Royal Dutch Shell AGM

Resolution 19 | Read Manuscript

On May 22nd 2018, Follow This founder Mark van Baal spoke at the Shell AGM in The Hague in support of Resolution 19. The choice for shareholders, he said,  was between “concrete” industry-leading climate targets and a “Whatever World” where oil and gas producers expect only to keep pace with wider society.

Resolution 19 asked Shell to commit to emissions targets in line with the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement to limit global warming by 2050 to less than two degrees. Follow This calculates that Shell, as the first oil major to acknowledge climate change in 1991, is uniquely responsive to shareholder pressure on climate goals.

On the day, 5.1% of shares were voted in favour with a record 7.2% abstentions. The combined 12.3% of dissenting voices declared a signal change in the climate of opinion among Dutch institutions. All of the 10 biggest asset managers in the Netherlands either voted for the resolution, or abstained from voting.

 


Fast Eats Slow

Not Big Eats Small | Refresher Video

Expect surprises! Change is exponential, rules are linear. This short refresher video includes five steps to ready any organisation for the unpredictable effects of disruption:

  1. Harness Data, for faster and better decisions.
  2. Decentralise, for a networked agile organisation.
  3. Find Strategic Purpose, for relevance and strength.
  4. Empower People, to motivate staff and stakeholders.
  5. Build Social Contracts, for knowledge-sharing and reciprocal commitments.
  • Video created for Stichting Wiechert ‘Young Talents’ event for the Real Estate industry, 2018.

 


Power of 9 

Read Faster | Read Smarter 

Power of 9 is a highly effective web-tool for accelerated learning and strategic engagement. Users navigate from a Cast Page through nine fields of interactive rich media.

A non-native custom web app hosted by WordPress, Power of 9 can be viewed in any popular web browser from any device. Standalone or serial editions can be hosted on any website, and shared via social media or mailshot.

Click here to view samples

  • 9Lives – Dragons At Your Door, in Power of 9 format.
  • From the book by Peter Williamson and Ming Zeng (Harvard Business Press)

 


Cognitive Bias Codex

Each of us has a strong instinct for making choices which yield advantage or recognition. The sum of those tendencies are a defining cultural force within organisations. Confirmation bias is one of many forms of cognitive bias which influence decision-making.

The Cognitive Bias Codex, designed by John Manoogian III at designhacks.co, charts more than 180 cognitive biases sourced from Wikipedia. Click here for the free download, under a creative commons licence.

 


Confirmation Bias (continued)

Cognitive biases are an obstacle to effective decision-making. Confirmation Bias is one variety, and arguably the most pervasive. Others include Anchoring, a tendency to attach too much significance to an initial decision or factor, which then determines subsequent choices; the Halo Effect, when a positive impression of a particular character or factor influences decisions on other criteria; and Overconfidence.

Like prejudice, cognitive bias steers us in the wrong direction. The documented trends of policy-based evidence in international development are an example, among many.

Boundless Management offers a variety of training materials on Boundless.com. A summary of cognitive biases can be found here: Cognitive Biases as a Barrier to Decision Making.